Good old R305:

Friends were seal sitting monk seal R305 at one of her usual haul out sites and saw a very large squid washing

up in the shore line. They gave me a call and let me know so I went down to see if I could find it. I went out

along the rocks at the north end of Bladk Rock where it had last been seen and made a few passes to no avail.

I did find an abandoned crab net which I took to shore. I went out for one last look and was able to find the

squid struggling in some of the rocks.

A surge shoved the squid up against a rock and let out some ink:

The squid seemed alert but very lethargic and incapable of getting away from the rocks.

In the pic above, it appears to have 10 arms to me?!? (I count 10 points or tips) In other images it looks to have

8 which seems to be a more typical number in attempts to ID it on the internet. A query on Facebook has resulted in

identification of this as a diamond squid.

The funnel below the legs looks like a mouth.

I took some video of the squid struggling about in the rocks:

I put my fin down on a rock next to the squid to probide a scale reference. This thing was big!!

After confirming with my foot neat its feet that it wasn't going to attack me, I decided to lift it out of the

rocks and get it back in the sand where it wouldn't get bounced around so much.

The squid would attempt to swim but end up dropping down to the sea floor very quickly. It was heavy

underwater with an obvious negative buoyancy. Whether this is typical or not, I have no idea.

At the time, I assumed this was a humbolt squid but looking at images of them later, I am confident it is not.

A number of times I lifted it up and let the sand clear from its funnel but when I would release it, its swimming

did not keep it from dropping to the bottom. I got some facinating shots of it in the process as I would hold the

camera out and down below it. I would go for some up shots quickly as it would swim while dropping back into the sand.

Its mantle was quite rigid and felt like hard rubber.

It seems that this incredible creature was dying but it also gave me an opportunity to view it up close and take

some shots I doubt I would ever have with a healthy specimen.

It settled once again in the sand and I left it to its fate.